Friday, April 20, 2012

Baked Macaroni n' "Cheese"

Macaroni and cheese has been a long-time favorite of mine since I was a wee child. When I discovered this recipe, it was like having an epiphany: I came to find that vegan cheese can be just as good, if not better, than real cheese. I was so happy to have found this recipe!
Here's a photo of the "cheese", just to show how creamy and thick and cheese-like it is:

I normally make this recipe as-is, but this time I added some baked butter nut squash and topped it with Panko bread crumbs. This dish really hit the spot! My life as a vegan is complete, now that I can enjoy a dish I have been enamored with since childhood.



5 comments:

  1. This looks really good! But what exactly is "vegan cheese" made of then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flour, butter, almond milk, and Daiya! Here's some info on Daiya: http://www.daiyafoods.com/our-products/cheddar. This site gives the nutritional analysis and the ingredients list. :)

      Delete
  2. This looks so good, Morgan! I love vegan mac&cheese. And Daiya!

    What brand of Panko breadcrumbs did you use? I've never been able to find a vegan version, all of them have milk!

    Tonight I'm making vegan potatoes au gratin. I went downtown and bought a ton of Daiya... I was having a similar craving for comfort food :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I got them at Kroger! The brand is Private Selection, which I believe is one of their store brands. No dairy whatsoever! Vegan mac n' cheese is the bomb diggity. I never imagined it would be so good!
      Those potatoes sound yummy! Wish I could join you. I think I'll be having lentil soup for dinner. The Amy's brand was on sale for 99 cents a can. You can't beat that with a stick!

      Delete
  3. Also for some reason it's not letting me use my wordpress account to comment! Bummer!

    ReplyDelete